Wednesday 23 April 2014

Gardening in the dark

...well, almost!

Stuck indoors today doing paperwork - boo boo boo hiss.

Only got outside after small people's bedtime, so we were on fast forward mode to try and get a few urgent bits and bobs done before it got too dark - we did manage to erect the 3 bean pole wigwams to support the 3 clematis which have been languishing on temporary supports since they were unceremoniously severed from their previous holds on the old panel fence around the vegetable patch.

Fortunately 2 are very small - worrying small in fact - I suspect they have been knobbled by the weather during the winter and then by the snails whilst they were vulnerable.  The saddest looking one only has one stem left, which I have lovingly tied to its new support with a wing and a whispered prayer.  This one has - wonder of wonder - a label!  She exults in the name of Clematis 'Vyvyan Pennell', having looked her up in my book she is a pom pom type double purple jobby.  Not usually my type of thing, but we'll give her a fighting chance and see what she's got...

The third clematis looks like it's barely blinked despite having been strung up to a bit of plastic netting and a cane for two weeks.  It is romping away unpeturbed and covered with fat buds.  I have no idea what variety this one is, but I expect I won't have long to wait to find out!

News on the pretty white rose front:


Identified by grandma as Rosa 'Iceberg'...well, welcome beautiful one, and here's hoping you continue to look so good!

Fingers crossed for the weather forecast being correct for tomorrrow, as I now have a list of things to do out there as long as my arm.

Concerns are currently mounting regarding the much awaited arrival of the ladies of the feathered clucking variety.  All along the date has been Sunday 27th April, and we've been working towards everything being ready for that date.  It seems ages that we've been building up to this - 6 weeks now in fact, but as yet still no confirmation from the BHWT that anything is concrete.  I am concerned that they are perhaps having difficulties with the farmer.... But the problem is, I don't think I could hold out any longer.  If I don't get a confirmed solid date when I phone them tomorrow, I'm seriously considering chasing up my alternative avenues to source our ladies.  It feels a shame, but we are ready and have been ready for quite a while now... and I need that manure in the compost heap!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment