Thursday 12 March 2015

Meet Polly, our first bee!

Named by Evie:
Polly Nation, our first bee and official mascot
Apologies - but 10 year olds enjoy such puns...

I brought Polly back last night from my last Theory session on Introductory Beekeeping.  The lovely people at the Beekeepers Association made it a special last session with lots of lovely honey cake and flapjacks, but some amazingly clever person had made lots of these little bees from icing and decorated all the plates with them.  Inspired, I thought - but I had to beg to steal one to bring home for Evie as I knew she would be very taken with her.  A typical reaction from Leo: "Can I eat it?"...hmmm, boys....

She has, for now, been saved from such a fate but I don't know how long that will last.

Meantime, I move on to start my practical training sessions in April, and who knows, equipment gathering dependent, there may be bees being welcomed to Windy Acre by the early summer? If I'm brave enough and lucky enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment