Thursday 8 May 2014

Progress, progress...

The little apple tree is now dancing with blossom
...slow and steady, that seems to be the way around here.

Well, the new wood shelter now has a fully fixed on roof (and gutters too, actually, though not at the time of photographing!)...


...but sadly no sides as yet...watch this space.

The mystery rose on the other side of the stone shed is about to burst into flower:


with what definitely appears now to be creamy yellow wee roses! So excited, as this is one of my favourite favourite rosey colours.  Looking healthy enough at the moment, too.  Though the same cannot be said of some of the other rose bushes which are already showing signs of black spot and aphid infestation.  Grandma and Hil both advocated prompt and thorough spraying with Rose Clear Ultra - this is not safe for bees but there doesn't appear to be any other option available.  The RHS website advises to spray on a still dry evening when the bees are not still on the wing, and try to avoid fully open blooms.  So looks like I'm off to the big orange DIY store to buy some, sharpish.  I'm so new to roses, I would hate to lose my newly acquired charges so soon.  But I don't want to harm the bees and other pollinators!

Speaking of yellow roses, it seems that one of the healthiest specimens in the circle bed is also joining the party...

not the best photo - I really must learn how to upload pictures from the big SLR.

Operation Bluebell continues whenever the weather permits.  I have now cleared enough either side of the walkway into the circle to enable the placing of the sweetpea support wigwams:

and I am quite pleased, there was evidently a need for a bit of height to give structure here.  Obviously the removal of the continuous mounding sameness of the bluebells has helped, and reminded me that some variation in growth habit, height and shape is as important as different colours in the planting.  As I mentioned before, I will only be planting my annuals in these gaps this year at least, so that bluebell digging out can continue with impunity next spring.

I have also started to tidy up the sunny courtyard garden at the front, bluebells out...

perhaps some irises here against the wall, with some lavender?  I can't think where else to put my irises brought with me, and I'd rather not put them in the nursery bed.  This is probably the hottest place in the garden.  Who knows, they might even flower!
Ballerina tulips (which had been the first to open and have performed exceptionally well) have finished, so I chopped off their heads.  The wallflowers will hopefully hang on a few more weeks as I haven't worked out yet what to put in these pots next.  As you can see, the bluebells on the other side of the archway are still laughing cruelly at me...I wish I had more hours in the day!  I want them out, spit spot.  But I must clear the circle bed first.
Deadheading the Jan Reus deep purple tulips has tidied up the front door planters for a while too.  They were beginning to look decidedly bedraggled.

However, a sneaky little trip along to Bower Flowers has inspired their 'Summer look':

temporarily residing in less glamorous quarters in the greenhouse for a few weeks - 6 plants of Callibrachoa 'Callie Orange' (mini petunia Million Bells) and 6 of Brachyscome (Mauve Delight, I think - will check).  These should cope with the south facing hot conditions - I'm feeling a little 'southern african' bright colour is the way forward here.  They will need some height in the planters too, perhaps I might add a few of my home grown Verbena bonariensis plants. Also a stipa tenuissima?  Have to see how much room there is.

Whilst at Bower flowers I was sorely tempted by this little diva:



So pretty.  But my poor addled brain could not justify a precise location for it - yet!  I need to plan my container planting for summer properly so that I don't buy something that won't fit.  I love it, and I'm sure I can shoe horn it in somewhere - but I was being good, based on advice from a fellow shopper who saw my struggle, and told me that she comes on a separate trip per set of containers so that she doesn't get overwhelmed by the choice! What an excellent idea.  Apparently today she was choosing only for her hanging baskets.  That way she makes sure everything is appropriate for the particular spot and mixes well.  

The risk is that the laurentia is too similar to my Gauras which I think will be going onto the patio.  They are taller and whispier of course, but I don't want everything feeling too samey.

I will be returning next week to collect my tomato grow bags so hopefully I will have had a chance to think about the patio pots by then!

Just time for a little walk around to see what's looking interesting elsewhere in the garden this week...
Another beauty in full flower - not sure what this is.  Grandma thinks a 'Deutzia' but I am not convinced...
Close up of our mystery shrub
Irises in flower in the top SW corner

Vegetable beds coming along well.  Lettuces in particular have settled and are starting to put on growth now, as are broad beans.

Horse Chestnut flowers looking incredibly exotic and tropical!
Onwards towards the weekend and hopefully tree house building beginning (or a small boy will burst a blood vessel...) and extension veg beds under construction.  Let's pray for nice weather x

No comments:

Post a Comment