Saturday 9 August 2014

Things that go bump in the night!

Well, in the evening anyway....I met this not-so-little fella whilst I was doing a spot of post-bedtime weeding in the circle bed.

He is huge! About as long as my palm and as thick as my thumb, and a pretty fast mover I can tell you.  I got the fright of my life.

Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar found in the circle bed

Following research, it seems he was on his way between the fuchsia bushes as apparently that's what he eats.
I was a bit mean and put him back in the woodland border instead as I didn't really want to spear him accidentally with the garden fork and the light levels were dropping quite a bit.
Trying to show how long he is!
Apparently he will turn into a pretty pink moth so girly you wouldn't believe...

No comments:

Post a Comment